Author: Anne Mehla
Believe it or not, there are actually a number of different methods that can be used in commercial joinery and, if you are planning on using it as a part of your job or for a personal project, it's important to make sure you choose the right one for the application. If you don't, the overall affect of the work may be affected and it may not last as long as you like. Use this guide to choose the type of join for your commercial joinery project, depending on the type of wood being used or the desired application:
- Basic Butt: this is the simplest joinery method and is formed when two pieces of wood are put together to create a right angle. This join is best suited to construction work, but not to furniture building or fine woodworking.
- Sliding Dovetail: this method is similar to the dado joint, but is much stronger (as the slots are more triangular rather than square). It is commonly used to create drawer assemblies.
- Tongue and Groove: this method is slightly stronger than the basic butt one and is used to join two pieces of wood together, end to end. One piece of wood has a protruding end (tongue) that is inserted into a hollowed out section of another piece (groove). This join is commonly used in furniture building and fine woodworking.
- Dado: similar to the tongue and groove method, the dado involves a grooved slot being created at one end of a piece of wood where another piece can slot into place. This commercial joinery method is useful for plywood.
- Rabbet: this joinery method involves a piece of wood being connected to a backboard (with four side boards) to form a box. Like the dado join, it is commonly used with plywood and is useful for cabinetry.
- Through Dovetail: this is actually one of the most preferred commercial joinery techniques and is created when a series of tabs along the edge of one piece of wood are slotted together with another. As it is an extremely strong joint, it is used to build furniture.
By choosing the most appropriate commercial joinery technique for the project you are completing, you can ensure that your work lasts a lifetime and is not subjected to premature damage. As you can see, there are a number of methods suited to furniture building and construction, so you will always have plenty of attractive joins to choose from.
This information is shared by Anne Mehla on the behalf of Spaceworks. Spaceworks deals in high end wardrobes in Sydney, quality durable cabinets and commercial joinery in Sydney.
Article Source: What Commercial Joinery Methods Are Suited To Each Application?